Monday, February 21, 2011

An sweaty palm embarrassment

Sweaty glands runs in my family in a certain way. My parents do not have any sweaty hands. But my elder sister has sweat hands so bad sweat drips continuously down her hands. My younger sister has such bad sweaty hands she has to bring a face towel into all the examinations she takes. Therefore, my sweaty glands condition pales in comparison to them.

I remember an incident when I was 16 year old. I was participating in a 3 days event "United Nations Mock Conference" where I was part of a mock United States delegates set to discuss several "world changing" resolutions. Things were going pretty well and I was garnering pretty much support by the end of the 2nd day.

At the end of the conference, there was this gal from a particular girls school who came to me and introduced herself. She asked for my number which I gave and offered to shake my hands. Because my hands were sweaty at that point, I couldn't bring myself back to shaking her hands and I said " Sorry, my hands are sweaty". We smiled and parted.

The next day, when we were voting for a resolution, the crucial vote came from that particular girls school and it went against us. Obviously we were mad and bewildered as they have been on pretty good terms with us.

I subsequently heard from a common friends that the gal who wanted to shake my hands thought I was being arrogant by refusing to shake her hands. Quoting verbatim " I offered my hands and he ACTUALLY rejected it"

Nowadays, I carry a hand towel in my pocket which I will secretly clean my hands before shaking hands. I've learnt the lessons of rejecting an handshake, particularly a women's one. For hell hath no fury like a woman's wrath.

No comments:

Post a Comment